Every little thing you want to know for Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series race at Sonoma Raceway, the 16th normal-time event of the 2022 marketing campaign.
Race-day info 📝
Wherever: Sonoma, California
Approximate commence time: 4 p.m. ET | Complete weekend timetable
Tv/Radio: FS1, TSN, PRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio | Whole Tv set agenda
Forecast: Primarily sunny, with a significant in the vicinity of 77 levels, according to NOAA.gov | Weather conditions tracker
Race length: 110 laps | 218.9 miles
Levels: 25 | 55 | 110
Pit-road velocity: 40 mph
Warning motor vehicle velocity: 45 mph
Grand marshals: The Bella Twins, WWE superstars
Pace motor vehicle driver: Fred Warner, San Francisco 49ers linebacker
The purse: $7,629,830
Sonoma 101: Get the comprehensive lowdown
Beginning lineup: See in which drivers will start out
Pit stalls: See where by drivers will pit
Important points to check out 🔑
Huge tale line
It’s no solution that the Future Gen motor vehicle was developed to be difficult and adaptable. Element of that flexibility is geared toward increasing its prowess on road programs during the season. With a wider tire profile and a entire body composition that can face up to more beating and banging as a result of the turns, the normal highway-system specialists should have stiffer level of competition this weekend at Sonoma. In the course of the to start with street-study course race this period at the Circuit of The Americas, drivers with nominal experience with still left-and-proper turns were being equipped to be extra competitive and outrun some of the favorites. Plan entrance-runners like Chase Elliott, AJ Allmendinger, Kyle Larson and Martin Truex Jr., who has dominated the industry at Sonoma in his career, will have to battle through a larger and much better team of contenders if they are heading to earn on Sunday. And oh, yeah. The Chute is back again.
Who’s scorching? Who’s not?
Regardless of Chase Elliott’s historic dominance at highway classes, it was Kyle Larson who had the very hot hand for considerably of the 2021 period en route to his Cup Collection championship. The California indigenous has been on hearth at Sonoma, starting up on the pole in four consecutive races and major a complete of 68 laps. Larson has also received three of the final 6 races on street circuits, such as very last season’s showdown at Sonoma. Needing extra dependable outcomes to bolster his title defense, Larson and the No. 5 bunch could make Sunday the great time to jump-begin a sound run.
Conversely, Aric Almirola has struggled practically as much as any one on highway programs. Almirola has 12 consecutive finishes of 12th or even worse and has hardly ever led a lap in 9 Sonoma starts. But seeking at the numbers, the technique has not been that significantly off for the Stewart-Haas Racing Staff at times, scoring stage details in three of 6. But it will acquire a far more entire exertion for the No. 10 workforce to crack their spiraling trend. Almirola completed 19th after starting off 25th at Circuit of The Americas, suggesting that a improved energy in qualifying could go away them with a solid opportunity at a leading-10 operate on Sunday.
Driving under the radar
If you just glimpse at previous Cup Sequence commences as your metric, you won’t find rookie Austin Cindric among the favorites to win on Sunday. In fact, Saturday’s apply session will be the initial laps for the No. 2 Team Penske driver at Sonoma. But Cindric is an completed road racer and would be an unsurprising winner if he can pull it off this weekend. He finished eighth at COTA and persistently ran at the entrance of the subject in the Xfinity Series’ street-course races, such as successful at the Daytona Road Program and Indianapolis Motor Speedway’s Highway System. Immediately after successful the Daytona 500, Cindric’s inaugural season has been a rollercoaster. But with a major slate of highway courses on the horizon, count on the No. 2 crew to at the time all over again make a assertion.
Practice was a little bit of a combined bag for groups as they attempted to dial in their automobile for qualifying and Sunday’s race. Sonoma is only the second highway-class race of the year and it showed with a bit of rust and ironing out kinks in the Up coming Gen motor vehicle. Unsurprisingly, AJ Allmendinger rose to the forefront of the leaderboard in Group A, though Kyle Larson ongoing his extraordinary operate-of-form with a titanic effort in Team B. But it was Larson whose speedy pace carried above to team qualifying, landing the No. 5 Hendrick Motorsports driver his fourth consecutive pole in qualifying at Sonoma and fifth over-all. A excellent start out to the California native’s try to match his race-successful exertion from 2021. | Comprehensive exercise and qualifying recap | No. 51 crew fails inspection, penalized
Race-day staples ✅
Our largest items of the 7 days — get protected for race working day from all angles.
• Paint Scheme Preview: Autos dressed for the West Coast journey | Decide a beloved
• Electric power Rankings: Will Bowman show out at Sonoma? | Current drivers rankings
• Fantasy Fastlane: Martin Truex Jr. destined for a breakout operate at Sonoma | Best plays, sleepers
• NASCAR betting: Ideal odds to earn at Sonoma | Prime pet dogs and underdogs
• Backseat Motorists: Rivalries warmth up for Sonoma | Authorities evaluate the race
Capture the pack 💨
Browse up on the leading headlines from the 7 days main up to Sunday’s race.
• Chastain: Driver makes an attempt to quell feuds, speaks to rivals | Entire tale
• Inspection: No. 51 Cup workforce fails several instances, penalized by NASCAR | Master a lot more
• Pearn’s return: Cole Pearn serving as engineer on No. 19 JGR crew this weekend | Examine a lot more
• Twist-and-change: Sonoma’s winding layout provides future problem for Up coming Gen auto | Read a lot more
• Domino outcome: Reddick on verge of initially win, hoping for breakthrough at Sonoma | Examine more
• Chastain vs. Hamlin: Officials established to keep an eye on the feud | Read through more
• Mark, Mamba & The Mayor: New podcast tackles Sonoma’s evolution, extra | Listen here
• Chasing Smoke: Hamlin a single acquire absent from Stewart on all-time acquire listing | Entire evaluation
• Le Mans: Kyle Larson drops subtle, playful trace at openness for 2023 race | Go through additional
• Byron blossoming: William Byron wins prestigious Super Late Model race | Race recap
• On standby: Daniel Suárez on standby for Carson Hocevar at Sonoma | Study extra
• Power in figures: Justin Marks sticks up for Ross Chastain, welcomes competitors | Go through extra
• Jack Ingram: Hickory Speedway set to honor NASCAR Corridor of Famer | Learn far more
• NDIP: NASCAR Range Internship Method welcomes 2022 class | See them right here
Get in on the action 💰
Consider you know NASCAR? Set your mettle to the take a look at with gaming, fantasy.
• BetMGM: Which driver’s stock is growing for Sunday? | Read extra
• The Motion Community: Showcased matchup to guess on Sunday | Read more
• Engage in it Are living: Whole guidebook to 2022 NASCAR Fantasy Reside recreation | Get the FAQ
• Going all the way: 2022 Cup Sequence championship odds | See them right here
Wine and winding roads 🍷
Get a speedy seem at relevant history, together with preceding winners of this highway-course showdown.
• Winning out west: All-time winners at Sonoma | See the record
• Do you recall? Most unforgettable times at Sonoma | Relive them
• Ringers: Lively Cup Collection motorists with highway-class wins | Who has the most?
• Switch 11: Most significant moments in Convert 11 at Sonoma | View the GIFs
• Sweet victory: A look at past Sonoma celebrations | Highway-course laurels
Quick info ⏩
Tricky-hitting, race-appropriate statistics, brought to you by the industry experts at Racing Insights.
• This will be the 28th race on the 1.99-mile, 11-switch layout and the first since 2018.
• Sonoma is the second of six road training course races in 2022.
• The past four Sonoma races were being won by 4 different companies and Martin Truex Jr. received with both equally JGR and Household furniture Row through that period of time.
• Stage 1 at Sonoma has never ever had much more than one warning and was caution-cost-free 2 times.
• Two of the past a few Sonoma races had a closing environmentally friendly-flag stretch of 46 or extra laps, with the 2021 remaining extend lasting only two laps.
Say what? 🎙
Notable quotes from the stars of the sport heading into Sunday’s race.
• “I’ve often had some fantastic pace at Sonoma (Raceway) and it’s my house observe. It is often pleasurable to see my buddies and relatives, and it was cool to get my first acquire at my dwelling keep track of past calendar year. But that was with previous year’s car or truck and on the extended observe. With any luck ,, we can get an additional pole there this weekend, direct some laps and obstacle for the acquire once again.” — Kyle Larson, driver of the No. 5 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet
• “This automobile definitely lends alone to highway course racing, so I’m excited to go to Sonoma this weekend. That is always a enjoyable track and a great region to go to. It is a lot diverse than any where else that we go, so I know a ton of individuals glance ahead to heading there. As far as the keep track of, it will be enjoyment to go back to the layout we ran for a very long time. It will incorporate a several added passing zones, which you will also see really a little bit of dive-bombing into individuals turns. That will make for an exciting race. We just want to continue to be out of difficulty and I truly feel like we can have a very good working day.” — Denny Hamlin, driver of the No. 11 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota
• “Sonoma is a entertaining street course and just a fantastic market and expertise for several individuals who will practical experience their initial race. I know we have a large contingent of our West Coastline friends coming out for the weekend, as the area supplies bucket-listing ordeals. I have been in the blend and near at Sonoma right before, so figuring out the still left and right-handers this weekend is essential in getting our Kohler Electric power Reserve Ford primed and prepared to go for Sunday.” — Brad Keselowski, operator/driver of the No. 6 RFK Racing Ford